This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

SharpMap / NTS?

Topics: User Forum
Sep 9, 2006 at 7:14 PM
Edited Apr 4, 2007 at 6:55 AM
Hi,

Have you taken a look at SharpMap / NTS?

SharpMap:
http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=SharpMap

NTS:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nts
Sep 20, 2006 at 2:01 PM
I know about them, and the authors know about iGeospatial.

Best regards,
Paul.
Sep 20, 2006 at 3:58 PM
Hy Paul, nice to hear about your wonderful project ;)
I have read that iGeospatial matches JTS 1.7.1, and NTS too, and i think that .NET GIS world is not so stable to maintain two similar gis libraries, as NTs and iGeospatial seems to be...
I think also that iGeospatial potentially more powerful, and i don't have any doubt that you are a GIS developer with more experiences and capabilities tnat me, so what do you think about a fusion of NTs in iGeospatial?
I think that the starting point is to "port" all NTS funcionalities not replicated in iGeospatial.
Obviously i hope that i could help you developing iGeospatial :)

Sep 21, 2006 at 2:02 PM
Hello di Diego,
Thanks for the message and the offer.

> I think that the starting point is to "port" all NTS
> funcionalities not replicated in iGeospatial.

Please list the NTS functionalities you wish to port so that we can discuss the details.

> Obviously i hope that i could help you developing
> iGeospatial :)

That is very kind of you, you will be helping and supporting the open source community. Please you can contact me directly for detail discussions of your plans. Your contributions will be a very valuable and will be very much appreciated.

Again, thanks for this nice move. God bless you.

Best regards,
Paul.
Sep 21, 2006 at 3:47 PM
>Please list the NTS functionalities you wish to port so that we can discuss the details.

Basically in this moment we have all JTS 1.7.1 functionalities, except Oracle and GML2 read/write, Coordinate Conversions (from SharMap) and IO functions (from GeoTools .NET).
My contribution is to maintain together all this code from various sources, and to fix or add some elements.
In the next days i send to you a detailed list.

For take a look at the iGeospatial sources, i need to install some software? Please could send me some instructions, or directly a snapshot at diegoguidiNOSPAM@gmail.com (delete NOSPAM...).
For NTS we have a SVN @ googlecode ( http://code.google.com/p/nettopologysuite/ ).

>Again, thanks for this nice move. God bless you.

Thanks to you!
I hope that in the future we work together ;)
Sep 21, 2006 at 4:40 PM
Basically in this moment we have all JTS 1.7.1 functionalities, except Oracle and GML2 read/write, Coordinate Conversions (from SharMap) and IO functions (from GeoTools .NET).

I do not have any plan to develop the Oracle IO, since I cannot test it. However, Oracle spatial provides WKB access and this should work with the current WKB implementations.

Do you have to maintain the Coordinate Conversions separately from the SharpMap?

I have once tried the IO classes from the Geotools.NET, specially the Shapefile class to provide a simple map for testing my JTS 1.4 port, but was highly disappointed by the results.
I finally had to write my own Shapefile classes but these ended up in the work I did for my former company.

Anyway, I will wait for the details you said you will provide. Since is a developer issue, we could start using the developer section for this discussions.

> For take a look at the iGeospatial sources, i need
> to install some software?

No, just click the "Source Code" tab above and you can download the zipped version. CodePlex automatically provides the zipped version for download.

If however, you wish to maintain the source code access or control, you will need to install tools required by the CodePlex.

Best regards,
Paul.

Sep 21, 2006 at 9:26 PM
Ok, see ypu later in the developer section :)
I've tried to download the source from the source code section, but the download did not start... maybe is a temporary problem of CodePlex.
Sep 21, 2006 at 9:28 PM
ok now works well :)